St. Augustine Gothic

St. Augustine Gothic

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Is winter over?


OK I know winter is not over. We had a great day with sun and temp over 60 Monday it will get close to 70. It looks like the week should stay above freezing, but we can have frost as late as mid April. This means you can plant but you have to be careful that you plant frost tolerant plants and be ready to cover if Jack Frost comes around.





With Joy out of town I decided to spend the day working in the garden. It's not as much fun but it keeps me out of trouble. But really the only trouble I would get into would be cooking pork ribs or shrimp on the grill. If Joy keeps leaving me alone it may come to that.

I've got 51 squares ready for crops. If you are like us and don't have a lot of space and want fresh veges with as little work as possible I believe that Square Foot Gardening is the way to go. We raised the beds 3 feet not just to keep the dogs out but so we don't have to bend over or get on our knees. We aren't old, but the joints aren't as fluid as they once were.

So far I've planted 19 of the 51 squares. I'll have some tomatoes and other large crops in spaces other than the squares in our raised bed. we have 6 Blueberries in a bed by the house.
In the 19 squares we have 12 beets, 8 Bibb lettuce, 4 strawberries, 2 cilantro, 4 onion chives, 4 garlic, 2 broccoli, 32 carrots and 4 mustard.



I used chop sticks to space the plants and dig the hole. This will be 9 beets

These plants will be planted outside in 2-3 weeks, but today I let them enjoy the sunshine and fresh air, also known as "hardening".

No comments:

Post a Comment